St. Anthony School was founded in 1927 by Father William Carey who was the parish priest at that time. The school opened in September and was originally staffed by the Sisters of Charity, Halifax. It began as a six room school, grades 1 through 7, with an enrollment of 102 students. The students came from the rural schools of surrounding districts as well as from Renton's Public Schools.
Who We Are Now
Today the school staff consists of 31 full-time lay teachers, including a full time computer specialist, a part-time speech therapist, a school counselor and a Learning Services Specialist.
St. Anthony School offers a broad curriculum that includes:
- Oral Communications (Listening and Speaking)
- Mathematics (including Algebra)
- Music (Band and General Music,
- Social Studies
- Science (including Outdoor Education)
- Visual Art
- Physical Education
- Computer Technology
- Library/Research Skills
Enrollment stands at nearly 500 Kindergarten through 8th grade students of which 95% are Catholic and 55% are students of color.
The school's facilities include 19 internet connected general classrooms, an internet connected library and computer lab, 3 laptop carts for use in the classrooms, a language arts resource center and a state of the art auditorium/gym. The school is proud of its excellent music, performing arts and visual arts programs. Student learning and the effectiveness of the academic program are assessed annually using the Iowa Test of Basic Skills and the Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) testing. In addition to regular religion classes, students participate in daily prayer, weekly all school prayer services and monthly all-school liturgies.